Hit Film 'Courageous' Changes Lives of Police Officers Worldwide
Story of Family, Faith Among First Responders Continues to Resonate;
1,000 Police Officers in the Philippines Dedicate Lives to Christ
Even as the U.S. prepares to mark its annual Police Week and Peace Officer Memorial Day this May, stories abound of the life-changing effects of the hit film COURAGEOUS since its top four theatrical opening last fall and No. 1 DVD debut in January. COURAGEOUS weaves the stories of four law enforcement officers coming to grips with the need for godly fathering in their homes and resolving to provide it.
Across the United States and internationally, COURAGEOUS is striking a chord with those actually wearing the badge:
- In the Philippines, 1,000 officers dedicated their lives to Christ following a screening of COURAGEOUS that drew 4,000 people.
- In Ecuador, 300 police officers publicly proclaimed “The Resolution,” as in the scene from the film in which officers do the same.
- In Panama, 700 police officers drove four hours to see the film.
- In Baton Rouge, La., the chief of police offered to personally cover the cost for any of the city’s 630 officers wanting to see COURAGEOUS.
- In San Angelo, Texas, Downtown San Angelo Inc. will offer a free showing of COURAGEOUS on May 18, in honor of Police Week. The screening is part of the city’s slate of Downtown Movie Nights, with films showing throughout the summer.
- First Baptist Church in Orlando, Fla., bought 2,000 copies of the COURAGEOUS DVD with a commitment to give one to each law enforcement officer in the city. "We wanted a way to personally show every officer and their family that we love and appreciate what they give to us,” said Dr. David Uth, First Baptist Orlando pastor. “Giving them a fun and entertaining movie with a message will encourage and inspire them to always be COURAGEOUS.”
As further confirmation of the film’s impact, the book, The Resolution for Men, from B&H Publishing Group, outlining principals for godly fathering, remains a New York Times best seller after its Sept. 1, 2011 publication.
Available now on DVD, COURAGEOUS tells the story of four men, one calling: To serve and protect. As law enforcement officers, they are confident and focused, standing up to the worst the streets have to offer. Yet at the end of the day, they face a challenge that none of them are truly prepared to tackle: fatherhood. When tragedy strikes home, these men are left wrestling with their hopes, fears, faith and fathering. Can a new found urgency help these dads draw closer to God . . and to their children? Protecting the streets is second nature. Raising their children in a God-honoring way? That’s courageous.
COURAGEOUS premiered Sept. 30, 2011, at No. 4 at the box office, remaining in the top 10 for four weeks. The COURAGEOUS DVD launched Jan. 17 as the No. 1 DVD in the country and has sold more than one million copies.